Thursday, April 14, 2005

O Canada

Question.

I like to think I keep abreast of world events. News.bbc.co.uk is my view on the world.

So have I missed an international incident?

On EuroDisney's Small-World ride, Canada is represented by a doll playing hockey in a somewhat ineffectual manner with a Mountie and his Moose peering down from a not-to-scale mountain.

On my 14th float through the ride, I noted that the hockey player was missing; just a metal pole in an empty rink to indicate he'd ever existed.

Judging by the amount of semi or non-functional dolls on the ride, I can't imagine the poor hockey player has been taken away for maintenance. He must have been removed for an altogether darker reason, leaving only the Moose looking on forlornly as Canada's sole representative.

I can only assume Canada must have done something to annoy the Disney Corporation or their US masters to merit such treatment. Either that, or the player has been poached by a team south of the border.

Will these people stop at nothing?