Thursday, April 07, 2005

The Perils Of Cruise Control

So I'm driving home after another midnight shift at work. I'm aware that I'm really tired. I mean REALLY tired. I would like to go sleep.

The world takes on a slightly surreal tone. The car rumbles over one of the many pot-holes in the road - "FUCK! I've gone off a cliff!"; this in spite of the fact that the nearest cliff is Beachy Head, which is a good 70 miles in the other direction. Not even I could get *that* lost.

But I've not gone off a cliff. I'm still driving. Pretty soon I'm on the smooth dual-carriageway, heading back to my town. And thats when that treacherous voice starts to whisper in my ear...

..."Cruise control is great, isn't it?"
"Mmm-hmm"
"You're pretty sleepy aren't you?"
"Uh huh..."
"Well, the road's going straight..."
"Mmm?"
"And right now the car's pointed straight..."
"Mmm-hmm"
"Can't see what harm a few minutes shut eye could do?"

...

Like I said. The perils of cruise control.

Thankfully, tomorrow morning at 0400 someone else will be driving me to the airport.