Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Not For The Devout

Don't read this if you're liable to be offended by mockery of an upcoming important date in the Christian calendar.


I mean it.


All gone?


Ok, so its just you and me...

Easter is approaching. Its a celebration of an individual faking his own death for publicity.

Kind of like Elvis.

Except Elvis wasn't nailed to a cross and didn't inspire a cult following, the more extreme elements of which were prone to committing random and increasingly extreme acts of violence.

Ok, maybe he did inspire the cult following thing. But he quite definitely wasn't nailed to a cross.

But I digress. What I need to know is how the giving of chocolate eggs is related to what Easter is supposed to be celebrating. What is that all about? Any ideas?

(And in case anyone thinks I have a downer on The Church... well, you're probably right (see posts passim.) But lets face it, an organisation that took until 1992 to pardon Gallileo for suggesting that the Earth went around the Sun deserves a bit of a poking with the funny stick. And at least I didn't suggest that Jesus's mode of death was the same as Elvis's. The nails would have cracked the porcelain.)