Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Eurotasms

As I've got older, I've begun to enjoy the Eurovision Song Contest more and more. The music has remained a shining beacon of crapness in an otherwise dull world and the voting process assists me in justifying my cyncism.

On Saturday I went to a Eurovision party. This was a new thing - in the past I've kept my addiction strictly private. Sharing it with almost perfect strangers was a strange experience.

Kind of like sitting on a bus, whispering to the person sitting next to you: "I'm wearing my girlfriend's underwear" and having him whisper back: "So am I"

Of course, if he was wearing your girlfriend's underwear rather than that of his current beloved, then an arguement might ensure resulting in possible fisticuffs, or possibly a new sexual experience for the three of you.

But I digress. My vote this year went to Serbia for fielding a Boyband whose members had all learned different dances. Moldova was another candidate with their "Granny Bangs The Drum", featuring an elderly lady in the national dress hitting a large drum to a rhythm all of her own. It didn't make much headway in our group after someone christened it "the Granny banging song" which was a mental image I could have done without.

In common with the rest of Europe, no-one voted for the UK. Still, at least France and Germany fared even worse. Every cloud/silver lining/etc etc.