Friday, May 20, 2005

How Would You Like Your Eggs? Fried? Scrambled? Or Shoved Up Your...

I made a mental note that I needed to trim my fingernails as I clenched my fist so hard that my palms bled.

The Ex and I came to an agreement last year that I wouldn't have First Born every weekend, my two nights a week would be alternately weeknights and weekends. This initially worked pretty well, but in the last few months The Ex has been getting later and later in picking FB up in the mornings (she works next door to FB's school - I work 25 miles in the opposite direction.)

It came to a head yesterday morning - having had a warning from my employer about tardiness I'd asked The Ex to get to me a little earlier to allow me to make it to work for 8:30am. She and The Boyfriend turned up at 8:25am. Now, the Golf Of Doom is fast, but would need to average over 150mph to stand a chance of making it to work.

The Boyfriend sniffed: "If you want us to arrive any earlier, you'll have to make us breakfast"

'Sorry' would have sufficed. For only the second time in my life, the red mist descended and the urge to punch him in his smug face was nearly irresistable. Nearly. FB, resplendent in her school uniform, was present. So I gritted my teeth and forced a smile: "I don't think there'd be time, maybe you could try and be just a little earlier?"

I made another mental note: The Boyfriend and I were going to have a discussion down a dark alley sometime soon. Very soon.