Saturday, November 06, 2004

And They Call This Television For Children?

First-born and I sat and watched a bright and colourful television show designed principally to sell merchandise to parents. It was a stop-motion affair called 'Bob The Builder', which features the catchphrase "Can We Fix It?" to which all the machinery reply "Yes We Can!" This is both sinister (I mean, a talking Cement Mixer? Its positively Stephen King) and inaccurate; lets face it, when presented with a similar question most builders I know reply with "A fortnight next Tuesday?" or "Oooh, gonna cost yer. You've had a real cowboy in here..." or a combination of both.

Today's episode featured Bob fixing the window of an Italian restraunteur, Mr Sabbatini (replete with comedy accent.) Bob and Mr Sabbatini are wondering what to do with a large pile of broken tiles (dropped by a talking forklift that was racing racing a living scarecrow called Spud. This really is the stuff of nightmares.)

Bob: "Oh dear, what are we going to do?"
Mr S: "I-ah know-ah Bob. More Sex!"
Bob: "Excuse me?"
Mr S: "Mosiacs! Mosiacs on-ah da wall"

I know some of these shows like to stick in the odd adult joke now and again, but really! I feel a strongly worded letter to the Daily Mail coming on. Probably starting with "Why is your newspaper such a steaming pile of-"