Thursday, November 25, 2004

Cutely Nauseating

This (with sound) made me snort with laughter. With this sort of thing, you either get it or, er, you scratch your head in confusion and hope it didn't show up your browser log.

Last night was a First-Born night. Or rather, last night was a "Hi Dad, can I play the Sims 2?" night. Sometimes I genuinely worry that all she comes round for is to play with my toys. And then I'll find a little note or picture propped up on the kitchen table after she's left and get all choked.

My current chauffeur, Phil, encountered First-Born for the first time last night. The Ex, you see, is now too stressed to drive, so if I want to see FB I have to collect her. Did I mention that I no longer have transport (can't drive a car because of the back) and so have to rely on the generosity of friends like Phil to get me around? The cynical side of my nature has therefore raised a single eyebrow at THe Ex's sudden protestations of being too stressed to make the 15 minute journey.

Making conversation with a 7 year-old when you have no children of your own can be tricky, and most adults tend to pitch the level at the lowest common denominator. Phil asked First-Born about films. Surprisingly, Toy Story 2 wasn't mentioned:

Phil: "So whats your favourite film?"
FB: "Oh, I like the Muppet Christmas Carol"
Phil: "Really? Is it a good film?"
FB: "Oh yes. Its very good. Except for when Gonzo says he's Charles Dickens, which is silly."
Phil: "Why is that silly?"
FB: (sighs that "Adults!" sigh the children do) "Well. Charles Dickens was a nineteenth century novelist. Gonzo is a blue muppet with a funny nose."

Phil went a bit quiet after that while First-Born regaled him with tales of singing lessons, attempts to swim breast stroke (that generally involve sinking) and the current beau. I suspect he was rather relieved that she hadn't moved on from the whole Gonzo/Charles Dickens thing to the difficult-to-explain-on-a-biological-level relationship between Kermit The Frog and Miss Piggy.

Today's post was brought to you by the word "precocious" and the number "7".