Thursday, December 30, 2004

The Fear

(This is a bit of a whiny post - there're some funnier ones further down the page)

You must excuse me. At the moment I appear to have The Fear. It began as I was buying a ski pass and gazed at the slopes.

I've skiied in the past, and it is my second favourite physical activity. False modesty aside, I was pretty good. This was because I was utterly fearless and would throw myself off the mountain without thought of injury. Friends far more professional than I were impressed and urged me to 'take it to the next level' - whatever that means.

But now, for the first time, I have The Fear. What if the naysayers are right, and I am about to do something permanently bad to my fragile back? I'm not sure I can do that pain thing again. Suddenly a solo ski trip seems a really bad idea. But I'm committed. In 30 minutes I'll know one way or the other.

Wish me luck.