Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Singin' In The Rain



I stared in disbelief at the sight before me. A dental surgery with the treatment rooms in large bay windows through which passers-by could admire the Chair and the implements of destruction surrounding it. Once a victim was esconced in the chair, blinds could be drawn during the treatment process. I was put in mind of a certain district in Amsterdam where ladies of negotiable morality showed their wares in a window and would then close the curtains, having enticed a punter in for a 50 Euro S&F (I'll explain that acronym by email to any who really want to know.)

Weird.

And then there was the optician's shop with the dummy outside, replete with a zebra's head. What was that all about?

I was heading for the SnowBus. Passing cafes and bars; many featuring the peculiarly North American trait of having subtitles such as "The Best Burger In BC" or "Our World Famous Sushi Is The Best In Vancouver" and so on. Judging by the amount of custom these places were getting, I'd have to say that the fine inhabitants of Vancouver didn't agree.

It may have been raining, but it couldn't dampen my spirit. In a few short hours there would be snow and potential for serious injuy. I couldn't wait.