Thursday, December 23, 2004

Mr Shakespeare!

"To ski, or not to ski: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in mind to suffer
The crashes and tumbles of poorly planned turns,
Or to take arms against a sea of snow-boarders..."

Damn, I knew that English Degree would come in useful one day. Although I never actually studied Hamlet. I saw it once (not counting the Reduced Shakespeare interpretation) performed by the Welsh National Opera. It went on for 4... long... hours. And, intriguingly, as Hamlet's insanity took hold, his speech got progressively more Welsh until his final lines went:

"So tell him, boyo, with th' occurrents, more and less,
Which have solicited - the rest is silence.
Now there's lovely for you, eh?" Dies

But I digress. If all goes to plan, this time next week there's a good chance I'll be strapping on my boots, attaching thinly disguised planks of wood to the soles, and flinging myself off a mountain. Both the physio and osteo have given enthusiastic 'go for it's - but I'm concerned. Is this a really good idea? Should I sit in a hot-tub, sipping an alcoholic beverage and enjoy the atmosphere rather than risk twanging my back again?

Of course, there is the whole "skiing down a slope, with a glass of champagne" thing mentioned when this all kicked off... so I guess thats the decision made for me.

Oh, and I lied about the English Degree. It has frequently come in useful. Much of my career has been involved in writing computer software (as dull as it sounds) and interestingly, my computing degree proved to be utterly useless. My ability to write long, wordy essays has shown itself to have far more currency. I think there's a moral there, but I'm not sure what it is. Answers on a postcard to the usual place.