Wednesday, December 01, 2004

What Did I Do Wrong?

Another day, another night in Accident And Emergency.

I've managed to slice my thumb right down to the bone. The how is so silly and ridiculous that I won't even bother going into it (ok, I will; I was washing up some kitchen knives...)

So, 2004. A red letter year in the life of Newly Single. Got dumped, broke back and now near-as-dammit cut an important digit off my right hand. What has fickle fate in store for me next, I wonder? A freak accident involving a combine harvester, an industrial sized tub of lime jelly and the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders?

I can but hope.

Oh, and medicine 101? What do you do if you've severed a vein and need to staunch the flow? 10 points to all those who had the word "tourniquet" in their answer. Did the hospital have such a thing? Of course not. Instead, they snipped the end off a rubber glove and used the cap of an old hypodermic to twist the thing tight. Good to see my tax pounds going where they're needed.

(I'd also add that the care was excellent. Thank you, Nurse Ros, for putting up with my ramblings and thank you Doctor unpronounceable, for your deft work with needle and thread.)

Tomorrow night was supposed to be a First-Born night. Ain't gonna happen. This weekend I was supposed to be going to Barcelona. Ain't going to happen.

Whats next? Suggestions, please...