Saturday, December 25, 2004

With Apologies To Animal Lovers

I've been clearing out anything likely to decompose during my upcoming absence. This meant bidding a fond farewell to the last batch of 'special' chocolate brownies donated by a thoughtful friend. With luck, I'll injure myself again next week and can request some more.

I tipped them into the dustbin along with sundry items of fruit and vegetables. The contents of the dustbin were then placed into a sturdy sack, which was placed into a few more sacks and then left outside.

It would appear that the neighbourhood cats have a taste for such things. In the morning I found that they'd got into the bin, got through 4 layers of plastic and extracted my therapeutic treats. And left the fruit and veg alone. It probably explains why there wasn't the usual wailing and fornication that the little bastards do outside my window evey night. I was waiting for a knock on the door, and to find a cat on the step saying: "Dude, got any chocolate on you? Or maybe some chips. Got a chronic dose of munchies, man..."

And yes, today was a tough day. It hadn't hit me properly that this year would be the first christmas morning without First-Born. My subconscious let me in on the secret last night. I then spent the rest of the evening trying to avoid going to bed so that I wouldn't wake up to a quiet house this morning. I failed, of course. And this morning was... just a normal Saturday. On the plus side, I made a start on the christmas cards for next year.