Tuesday, February 15, 2005

99 Red Balloons... And One Chocolate Rabbit

I am 32 years old (just - in 15 short days I'll be 33 years old, for those wishing to send me an appropriate gift. Walking sticks or other remarks on my advancing years are not required.) In that time I have had exactly zero valentine's day gifts and one valentine's day card (from somebody who used to call up the helpdesk I worked on because they liked the sound of my voice.)

Oh yeah, I sent The Ex an anonymous card every year, but she didn't send one back. Not to me at any rate. I guess that was one of the signs I should have been looking for.

But I digress.

This year? 4 huge heart shaped balloons from an unknown admirer and a gift of confection from someone who subsequently became the first ladyfriend to stay over chez Newly last night. Have no fear, I was the very epitome of chivalry. More or less. But you've got to love a girl who shares one's liking of beer and curry.

The confection is still unopened. The balloons began to look a little deflated (I suspect the guys in the office - put a helium balloon in a roomfull of blokes and its only a matter of time before someone either attempts to suspend a beer bottle from it, or uses its contents to create a squeaky voice) and were subsequently pinched by people who'd realised that they'd forgotten any gifts for their significant others...

Things are looking up. How was your day?