Friday, February 25, 2005

Lets Celebrate!

"Thank you, sir. Celebrate America!" sparkled the receptionist.

Eh? I've heard "Have A Nice Day" and am getting to grips with "Missing You Already" but "Celebrate America" ? Thats a new one.

In fact, the slogan is emblazoned across the Holiday Inn where I spent last night. As I stood in the elevator I looked at my feet and saw I was standing on a carpet with a badly drawn eagle motif surrounded by those two words. Tearing my eyes away I looked at the events sheet on the wall:

"Come and Celebrate America with us every morning. Join us at 9am every day when we will raise the flag, sing the national anthem and swear allegiance to the flag. Attendees will receive a free patriotic souvenir."

I shuddered in horror as to the form the souvenir might take. I also felt suddenly terribly homesick. I missed the sullen incompetence of my fellow countrymen. I missed their misplaced cynicism.

At 9am I peered out of the window and saw the flag flapping folornly alone in the snow and was cheered. Apathy had won the day. Maybe we aren't so different after all.