Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Nice Newly / Naughty Newly

I hurtled down the road to work this morning - I'd overslept and as such was doing the irrational thing of putting being in the office on time ahead of my own personal safety and that of other road users.

Somebody pulled out of a side turning in front of me. This meant I got to use the impressive-looking brakes in anger for the first time. An orange light flashed on the dashboard; at some point I'll read the manual and find out what it means. For the time being it will be known as the "you've just done something very silly. I've sorted it out for you, but don't do it again, ok?" light.

In fact, so much in life could use more meaningful definitions like that rather than obscure abbreviations; its why I've always liked the German language. You've got to admire a mother tongue whose word for diarrhoea literally translated means "fall through"

But I digress. Half of me wanted to make an obscene gesture at the unfortunate driver and shout things that he wouldn't be able to hear. The other half, the half that always wins the day on these occasions, said quietly "Maybe you should pay a little more attention to the speed limits..."

Having a conscience sucks.