Thursday, February 10, 2005

In A-Town

"You're sending me where?" I asked

My boss repeated himself, his face breaking into a wide grin.

Allentown, USA. The American office. The week after next. I felt myself die a little inside.

My feelings about enduring US customs and immigration are well known. Add to that the sheer dullness of Allentown and you have a surefire recipe for a funpacked week. I cast about for something sharp with which to open a vein. The boss had thoughtfully cleared his desk beforehand.

Allentown. Noted for being a major distribution point for coca cola and, as I learned this evening, the subject of a song by Billy Joel. Having done some investigation I can confirm that Mr Joel captured the essence of the place in his lyics at least. If anyone wants to disprove my Allentown apathy, you'll find me in the bar of one of the soulless chain hotels, looking wistfully at my Morzine pictures. With a bear.

Maybe I'll force my plane to fly somewhere warm and sunny instead by threatening to turn on a mobile phone.