Sunday, February 20, 2005

An Entirely Self Absorbed Post

I have a lovely long flight on Monday in which to update the journal with lessons learned from the latest dating exploits...

...but for now...

Oh wow. I'm in a difficult place.

You see, I had a date on Friday. There's nothing spectacularly unusual in that. What was unusual was the way The Conversation went.

Everyone has The Conversation after a few dates. It usually consists of one or other of the parties asking the following questions:

"Are you dating anyone else?"

An affirmative leads to: "Are you going to continue dating anyone else?"

Depending on the occasion, the word 'dating' is interchangeable for 'having sexual intercourse with' (or a shorter phrase that will doubtless set off sensitive obscenity filters around the world.)

I'm very honest with these questions and always answer truthfully.

On Friday night, for the first time, my answer to that last question was "No." And I meant it too.

Tomorrow - America! Happy, smiling officials await me at passport control. And tomorrow I shall be smiling right back at them.