Thursday, April 15, 2004

An interesting thing happened a couple of nights ago.

I was out for a curry with some of the chaps from work. Also along for the ride was a charming lady from another department (also recently dumped.)

Drinks were imbibed, curry was ordered and half eaten, and then we tottered back to the place where I was stay, took turns scowling at the cat and played with the satellite television. By early morning, people were calling cabs, or generally staggering home, leaving me and this person alone.

She: (theatrically stretching) "Oh, I'm too tired to walk home"

Me: "Shall I call a cab for you?"

She: "Oh, it would be very expensive this time of night. Why don't I take the spare bed?"

Me: "Nah, the cat's been sick over the floor again"

She: "Well then, where should I sleep?"

Me: "Dunno - oh look, this cab company lets you book over the internet. They'll be here in 15 minutes."

She: (silence)

The beer temporarily obscured that conversation, but it surfaced this morning, coupled with a sober realisation about what she was talking.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Another one to gnaw at my knuckles about.

Somehow I don't think that beer really is the good friend it pretends to be.