Monday, January 31, 2005

3 Down, 1 To Go

As we approach the mid-way point of the fortnight of hecticity, I feel its time for a review thus far of the Dating Of People I'd Not Met Before (which is a new thing for me.)

The first was clearly a romantic. Looking like a young Geena Davis and with an accent to die for, I'm smitten. I can but hope that she'll one day assent to reading excerpts from Tolstoy to me. Second date? Sometime next week. Assuming I don't fall off a mountain.

The second was seeking committment and looking for a husband. Funny and smart, but also emotionally fragile - the line "of course I understand you'll be dating other people" was delivered in a quavering voice and with a sniffle. I'm not right for her, but need to think of a way of delivering this news without causing too much hurt - sadly, my honesty can be interpreted as bluntness. Perhaps I should attempt a lie and confess to being gay?

The third was the flipside of the first - no romance here. This lady is simply seeking no-strings-attached intimacy and plenty of it. I have no problem with this.

The fourth I have yet to meet. Judging by conversations she is somewhat of a laddette, certainly a laugh, and has managed to secure a late-night drinking hole in a town more noted for tweed bosomed ladies of the women's institute. This will be Tuesday's adventure and one to which I'm looking forward.

Unfortunately, the Nuns did such an effective job on me in my youth that my intrinsic catholic guilt is kicking a bit. As I was talking to The Third, I kept expecting Sister Mary to emerge from the shadows like an absurdly tall crow with a single skeletal finger pointing at me. Puts one off somewhat. Maybe I just need to start drinking again.