Thursday, January 27, 2005

Fat Fighters Not So Anonymous

In order to cash in on peer-pressure, we are operating a 'fat club' at work. Measuring scales have been purchased and we have a weekly weigh-in.

My vegetarian friend, S (he of the magic muffins), has been not-so-quietly confident. He has religiously been bringing in a small lunchbox containing rice and sundry boiled vegetables. He has also been taking light exercise reglarly.

I, on the other hand, have been raiding the vending machine for chocolate and taking daily exercise in the form of walking to the video shop, selecting a DVD, a large bag of mesquite crisps and a random bag of chocolate from the wide range available. Sometimes I pay a visit to the fish and chip shop when the smell of frying potatoes, salt and vinegar becomes too much to resist. I regard this as additional exercise (the chip shop is another 20 yards on from the video shop) and carrying the additional weight of a greasy bag of chips surely counts as extra circuit training. Right?

Today we had the weekly weigh-in. From a roughly equal starting point, S has managed to shed 0.1kg. I, on the other hand, have dropped 2.2kg.

There's a lesson to be learnt from this. But I'm not sure that the people who make millions out of selling diet books to people who won't read them and running expensive courses in nutrition and healthy lifestyles for those that will smile, nod, and head straight to KFC will want to hear it.

And tonight I have a date, with L. Yes, I am nervous. Especially after recent events. I'll be writing about this later tonight...

(There was one additional thing I neglected to mention about the diet stuff above; I've given up alcohol. S hasn't...)