Friday, January 21, 2005

Why Miss Smith, You're Beautiful

This is a rumour. It may not be true.

Our corporate masters (and their legendary sense of fun - no, there was no office christmas party last year. I suspect it was because of a stand-off between the UK management and the US management over the strict 'no-alcohol' policy at all social events) have introduced a new rule. As yet, its only been our European cousins who have been afflicted by it, but I gather its to be introduced world-wide.

The rule is this: "A male and a female employee may not go to lunch off-site alone together unless they are married"

I hear that Sven (remember Sven?) piped up with "But vaaht if ze man is homosexual? Not zat I am homosexual. I am not. I just vahnt to know..."

Sven, I am sad to say, is still in denial.

I can only speculate as to the true meaning of this new rule. Is it an attempt to bolster the "No bonking colleagues" rule? (or as a friend delicately put it recently: "poking the payroll". Charming girl. I may have to marry her.) Our lunchbreak is only 45 minutes, and short of parking the car around the corner from the office and steaming up the windows, fornication is going to be tricky.

Still, nice to know that in some small way, management in their ivory tower over in the US are trying to do their bit to preserve the sanctity of marriage here in Europe. Thanks guys.