Thursday, January 06, 2005

Mark And Mary

There was an insistant knocking on the door. Hoping it was the repair-man with a new plug for the bath (the Timberline Lodge has a real blind spot when it comes to the bath plugs - neither of the rooms I've stayed in have had baths capable of holding in water) I opened the door.

Before me was an impressively built man. Shaved head. Entirely naked. Dripping wet.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, knuckles tightening around his beer can.
"Er. Waiting for someone to come and fix my bath?" I volunteered, feeling slightly inadequate for a variety of reasons
"Dude. Where's Mary? She with you?" the man asked.

I thought carefully about my answer.

"No"

The man leaned back and peered at the room number. "Oh man, I'm sorry. Wrong room. Hey - you want to come to a party?"

I looked at the man. Consulted the clock. Asked the bear.

"Ok"

And so it began.

...I gotta catch a bus. And fight a hang-over.