Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Sign Here, Please

Ever heard the phrase "signing your life away"?

I did that just now.

For the past 14 years I'd been making my way up the property ladder with The Ex. Pensions, insurances and a succession of progressively larger houses until we reached the nirvana of detached, 4 bedroomed splendour. Material goods such as automobiles followed a similar path; first a battered old Vauxhall Nova, then a new Fiat and finally a brand new Mercedes. Indeed, at this time last year, the Newly garage consisted of said Merc, a 40 year old Triumph convertible that I'd just finished restoring and the Scirocco.

And in just 10 months I've managed to dismantle all of that. The final piece of the structure was taken away just now when I signed the transfer deeds, giving The Ex ownership of the marital home. The only thing I have to show for my old life is First-Born, and even there I'm aware that I'm becoming a progressively smaller part of her life as time goes by.

So with the signing of the deed, I have quite literally signed away a life. Aside from a lump of cash, there is nothing left.

I wonder what happens next.