Monday, January 10, 2005

The Artist In Me Died Long Ago

I stood on the station platform, dodging droplets of water and looking for the train. A novel wheeze of the train companies is to show the time when the next train is due on the displays but avoid showing the current time. Gives the whole 'waiting for the train' thing a sense of mystery I guess. Or its just sheer bloody-mindedness. One of the two.

Accompanying me on the platform were 24 cans of dog food, still in their shrink-wrap packaging. Somebody had clearly forgotten about them.

If I were an artist I might have seen this as symbolic. Perhaps constructed an installation around it. Maybe named it something clever and metaphorical.

I'm not. All I thought was that some dog is going to be hungry tonight and some person is going to be in the dog house. Figuratively and possibly physically.

I also acted on one of my resolutions tonight and asked the physio out.

"Are you asking me out on a date?" she smiled, one eyebrow raised
"Um. Yes. Could be." I stammered
She leaned a little closer and whispered "I only date men my age, I think you might be a little old for me..."
Externally I smiled ruefully: "Oh well, maybe another time."
Internally... crushed.