Saturday, January 08, 2005

Funky In Frankfurt

The flight was uneventful. I entirely failed to sleep at all. The woman sitting next to me did. From the moment she'd sat in her seat and put on her belt she was asleep. Head on the window, mouth open, nostril hairs moving gently in the breeze.

After 8 hours had passed I began to toy with sticking a pen up her nose, or perhaps writing on her face. Not because she was snoring, but because I was desperately envious of her ability to sleep. In fact, the whole cabin seemed to be asleep. Anyone else get that feeling on long-haul flights? That you're the only one awake? I took to making circuits of the cabin. At the start of the circuit I decided who I'd look for and then find them.

My targets were:

The couple who'd just joined the mile high club
The person most resembling a dead celebrity
The individual who'd wanted to join the mile high club but whose partner hadn't been up for it

And so on. Anything to alleviate the boredom.

And now I'm at Frankfurt. I wonder where my luggage is. Probably somewhere hot and sunny.