Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Running Away

On February 16 (less than a month away) The Ex is marrying The Boyfriend.

Poor guy.

Discussions with First-Born and recent conversations with The Ex have shown the driving force behind this to be more situationally driven than romantically. Their workplace does not approve of co-habitation and its easier for them to marry than find new work. And of course, the whole adultery thing goes against one of the big ten rules they have there.

I had planned to show up. Either with a cute girl on my arm, or to shout "SLUT" drunkenly at various points in the proceedings in a passable impersonation of Father Jack, and then spending a happy few hours at the reception telling her family exactly what I think of them.

However, I gather that The Ex is having second thoughts, and fearful of another tearful phonecall or "can we start again?" visitation, I've decided to get out of the country for a few days over the period of the wedding. Europe is too close, so I'm looking to the east coast of the US or Canada (far away enough to be incommunicado, but not horribly far in terms of transit time.) New York might be fun; I haven't been there for years.

Some might see this as running away. I see it as taking a sensible precaution. I need her to get married, because at that point (excepting First-Born) it really is Over. Both legally and emotionally.

So... three days in New York. Where to go and what to do I wonder...