Friday, July 16, 2004

Evil Eye! Evil Eye!


Feel the evil of the Small World ride. Now I know what happened to all those left-over Chucky dolls from Child's Play.

So we're back. Our arrival back in England was announced by a cacophony of chirping mobile phones on the Eurostar as we emerged from the tunnel. Traveling for pleasure never fails to amaze me - I can get on a train in London and step out in Paris. These things we take for granted too easily.

Yeah, with the falling through of the apartment I've been thinking about travel a lot of late. I mean, if you had £100k and no commitments, what would you do? Buy a house? Start a family? Been there, done that, got the Decree Nisi. So now I'm thinking about going places and seeing stuff.

My cousin, Ian Dickens, has played no small part in this. I've been reading his book Sea Change in EuroDisney while First-born slept. I love well written travelogues, and his struck a particular chord. Pay £23k, join a similar minded crew on an ocean-going yacht and take part in a year-long round-the-world race. No experience required.

Tempting. I wonder if there's an option for doing something similar, except without the hardships and face scoured by salt-water?