Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Old Time Music Hall Great

We all wear masks. So people don't know who we really are. We all have alter-egos, characters we bring out at parties, at interviews or in the workplace.

Or is it just me?

I was enjoying a lunchtime beer with a guy I've worked with in one job or another for the past 10 years and been friends for the 10 years before that. We were going through the events of the last three or four months. He shook his head, laughed, and said "I never thought I'd see the return of The Great Self-Destructo"

The Great Self-Destructo is the person I turn into when, say, I hate my job. Or hate my school. Or I'm depressed. Or I'm bored.

The Great Self-Destructo is a character along the lines of Houdini, with the exception that he doesn't want to escape. He just wants more locks put on the box, more man-eating fish in the tank and more pointy nails on the bed. He'd play Russian Roulette with only one empty chamber. And maybe not even that.

I'd thought I'd put him away for good when I'd got married and became Responsible. However, it seems that to someone on the outside looking in, this man of mystery is making a comeback in the form of my determined pursuit of debauchery.

If he is, perhaps I should put him back in the box. Him and his friend "Captain No-Consequences".

After Prague. He's a lot of fun to be around.