Sunday, July 18, 2004

Mind Reading

I'm a little disorientated.  After spending the day in the office trying not to be sick over the keyboard (diced carrots and brushed steel are just *so* last century, dahling) the boss took me out for a beer.
 
He steepled his fingers and just when I was wondering if he was about to:
 
a) Ask me about my internet usage
b) Ask me about the odd colour I turned when he suggested getting a curry in for lunch
c) Ask me for a date
 
He said "There isn't much reason for you to work here anymore, is there?"
Me: ?
He: "When you joined, you gave up a well-paying job in London to work nearer your family"
 
(this is a true thing, when First-born appeared, I dropped out of the rat race and got a job less than 5 minutes from my door)
 
He: "And you don't have that anchor anymore.  So I expect you're considering your options"
 
The guy must be a mind-reader.  I concentrated on thinking about girls - best defence against mind reading aliens, or so I'm told.
 
He: "You're a key part of the company.  I'd like you to think about what it would take to make you stay with us and talk to me and the Managing Director tomorrow.  What do you say?"
 
Me: "Er... another drink?"
 
I'd only been having the Big Quitting Thoughts while in EuroDisney.  Does the guy have my room bugged too?  Were the attractive students standing around me and my friend last night actually secret agents, eavesdropping on my drunken explanation of sailing around the world?
 
Or is it just that my boss is a perceptive guy, as well as a good friend?  Even if I detest his elderly cat.
 
Oh, and he also casually dropped this into conversation:
 
"And my wife was wondering if you'd got yourself laid yet"
 
Yes, I passed beer through my nose.  Both nostrils.