Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Real Women

There are some things I really like about EuroDisney. One is the whole approach to women.

Now its been a few years since I went to Florida, but my main memory of the characters is that whenever a woman had to appear in, say, the Tinkerbell costume, she'd be a waiflike creature.

Not so here. Oh no.

EuroTinkerbell can best be described as, er, the opposite (insert suitable descriptive phrase here - along the lines of 'stacked', 'well built' and 'thank you God for making me attracted to women and so able to appreciate such wondrous things')

No boyish figures here, just plenty of curves; enough to leave the jaws of the male members of the audience hanging open while the fairy in question flies up to the top of the castle.

The same goes for the rest of the characters. Belle (from Beauty And The Beast) looked as though she could snap The Beast in two, and as for the female character in The Tarzan Encounter. Gosh. I'm trying to persuade First-born that we should watch the show again.

...of course, it can go wrong too. One of the fairies on the electric parade looked like she'd spent the last year matching me beer for beer, while she struggled along under the combined weight of a ghostbuster-esque battery pack and wings festooned with lightbulbs. Her approach to the audience was a typical of many of the characters:

"Hey, yeah, I'm a fairy. Look at me dance. I spent 5 years studying dance in Paris, you know. I hate you all."

More on that later...

(Yeah - I made the Edit. Thank you, commenting people. And emailing people. That was not a good phrase to use. Even First-born was aghast: "You said *what* ?")