Monday, August 09, 2004

15 Crown

It used to be a tradition in European countries, that whenever one wished to use a public convenience (bathroom/toilet/McDonalds - take your pick) there would be a wizened old lady perched by the entrance to extract money with menaces before allowing you into the gloomy room beyond.

Sadly, this seems to be in decline. Possibly as a result of various European Union directives concerning wizened old ladies, inescapable bodily functions and financial transactions.

I was curious to see if Prague, as a fresh-faced member of the EU club, had been similarly affected. And indeed, there was a dearth of wizened old ladies.

However, on my way to find a taxi to the airport, I elected to pay a swift visit to the bathroom (more advice from my father: "Never pass up the chance for a pee") and was confronted by a near spherical woman of advanced years blocking the doorway.

"5 Crown" she said

I hurriedly pressed a 20 Crown coin into her hand and headed into the dim interior.

While I stood, contemplating philosophy and counting the cracks in the ceiling while I waited to, er, finish, there was a tug on my sleeve. I broke one of the sacrosant rules of "The Gents" and turned my head. Next to me was the old lady.

"15 Crown" she said and tried to give me some silver coins. My hands were otherwise occupied.

"Keep it"

She shook her head and repeated "15 Crown" until I was able to take the money from her.

"Thank you sir. You have good day, yes?"