Monday, August 30, 2004

Seen One Rock...




Sometimes Big Landscapes impress me, somtimes they do not. Its a case of Seen One Rock, Seen 'Em All.

Such is the case with the English Peak District: "Oh look, *another* hill. Thats nice."

I know that I've attached metaphors to rocks before, but sometimes a rock is, well, just a rock.

So over the last two days the lady of the weekend and I looked around some old, old houses. One from the 1500s and another from the 1700s. I love these places, mainly due to the "fuck you" style of architecture affordable by only the absurdly wealthy. I love the details, the vastness and the follies.

Take the photo above, a cascading channel of water over stone steps. Marvellous 18th century engineering, with huge fountains in the gardens below driven by water pressure alone. Even better is the fact that you're trusted to go paddling without hurting yourself.

People taking responsibility for their actions? Heavens! It'll never catch on.

The hotel was fabulously expensive. But infinitely superior to where we almost ended up staying; a Travel Inn. These places serve two purposes; firstly a place for middle-aged sales executives and prostitutes to meet, and secondly somewhere that makes you appreciate just how *nice* your home is. Even if it isn't.

And now First-born and are off for a swim. Well, if I'm entirely truthful, she'll be swimming, I'll be trying to avoid getting harpooned. Too much good food over the last two days. Where did I put my trainers again?