Monday, August 23, 2004

Q And A From The Lem

Part 1...

1. If you had to get newly married again right now (i mean HAD to), knowing all the people you know right now, who would you pick and why?

You askin' ? Seriously though, if we narrow the field to people I've met in real-life then yes, there is someone who works at this company. Why? She makes me laugh, she's interesting, there's something dangerous about her and she laughs at my jokes. She's also entirely off-limits (either she or I would have to quit our jobs if we ever became more than 'just good friends')

2. Whats the best story from the "mr. newly was a young lad" archive that would help us get who you are today?

When I was about 8 years old, I went to a catholic junior school. Somebody in my class took great delight in stealing the shoes of a certain girl. Somebody else told the headmaster of the school that it was me. The headmaster decided to give me a fright and called the police in to talk to me, called my parents in, and stood me in front of the school with a placard saying "thief" around my neck.

Thing is, I didn't do it. I had no idea who did. No-one believed me, even though I'd never stolen a thing in my life - I was a model student.

Nearly a quarter of a century later, I still find myself remembering the shame of standing on that stage with the sign around my neck while the headmaster foamed at the mouth about the ten commandments. It killed whatever faith I had in the church, instilled a conviction that religious organisations are populated by hypocrits and gave me a deep distrust of my fellow human beings that I've only recently managed to get over. Interestingly, it also made me scruplously honest in everything I do.

One day I'll find the headmaster's grave and spit on it.

(sorry it wasn't a cheerier tale, but whenever I think of my childhood, this story pops up first and drowns everything else out)

3. What would rather do....eat someone elses booger OR....(now i turn this over to you, co-winner razz!)

So far I'm leaning towards the OR :-)