Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Who Did You Say You Were Again?

Uh oh.

I should have seen it coming.

The Date and I are enjoying a drink before dinner. I'm drinking wine (always a bad thing, but I figured that ordering a beer roughly the size of a small child would not go well with the attractive lady I was meeting. At least until I had a chance to work out what was acceptable or not.)

She is sipping a gin and tonic.

She: "So what do you do?"
Me: "Oh I'm in pharmaceuticals too"
She: "Really?"
Me: "Yes - clinial trials. Human, of course."
She: "Oh? So what brings you to this part of the world?"
Me: "A client has sprung a snap inspection, and the office here needs some support"

(something at the back of my mind was trying to make itself known at this point)

She: "Hah - me too. The regional office called me out here too."

(the little voice is getting louder now)

Me: "No way? Why are you here?"
She: "Oh, I'm an auditor - I'm here to audit xxxxxx"

(the little voice was just a little too late. Her company name had sounded a little familiar last night, but beer at the bar had drowned it out)

Me: "I work for xxxxxx"
She: "..."
Me: "..."

And there, my friends, the date ended. Damn.