Thursday, August 19, 2004

Things I Have Learnt Today

* All Buildings In Switzerland Must Feature A Bomb Shelter

What the heck is that all about? I mean, its not as if Switzerland featured much in the last couple of European wars. And even then, it was mainly as a place to stash all the dirty money.

Few things can rank as high in the 'disturbing' stakes as being given a tour of the facility by Sven, and he saying "ja, so zis is the bunker. When I close zis door" (clunk) "ve are completely isolated"

* Don't make passes female customs employees. No matter how pretty they are.

So, I'm working right on the border of Switzerland and Germany. I drive through customs and my passport is checked by a very pretty customs official. I invite her out for a pizza. She reponds with a search of my vehicle. Is this some European courtship ritual of which I was unaware?

* Never try and exrcise your rusty German on the attractive waitress

"Hello, can I buy you a drink?" in my interpretation of German sounds more like "I want to ravish your mother, father and brother" according to Sven. And judging by the expression on the face of the waitress, may be even worse.

More on Sven later. He merits his own posting.