Thursday, October 28, 2004

Er, Erm, Uh...

There are times, you know, when I almost (*almost*) wish First-born had been born a boy.

Its nothing to do with a need to play sports or a desire for First-born to serve in the frontline of the armed forces. Nor is it anything to do with having to go shopping for girly clothes, or reading "Felicity Wishes Fairy School" stories rather than whatever it is 7 year-old boys read these days. In actual fact, I love shopping for clothes with First-born, and I'll read any story she wants for as long as she still likes Dad to sit and read of an evening. After all, in a few short years she probably won't want to know me, being 13 and knowing everything and all.

No, the thing is this: without a senior female figure in the house, there are some questions that I'm simply not equipped to answer. Take last night, First-born woke up and staggered downstairs in that slightly drunken fashion she does upon waking.

"I've got a pain" she said
"What sort of pain? Where?" I asked

And she pointed at the one part of her anatomy that I, as a guy, really can't help with. Thank goodness for the internet and questioning inspired by Google searches. It transpired that she'd been out with The Ex for the day and hadn't drunk any liquid, and so was dehydrated. A gallon of water later, and all was well with the world.

But there really needs to be a manual for single fathers with daughters, not just about this, but about everything. With headings like:

"The Importance Of Pink"
"Piercings - Top 10 Excuses Not To Allow Them"
"Mood Swings 101"
"When 'nuthin' Really Means 'I want to talk about it' And When It Doesn't"
"Hair Brushing 101"
"Make-up, And Ways Of Saying 'You look like a clown' Without Hurting Feelings"

Actually, I could use that book for some of the adult women I know too, you know...