Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Midnight Munchies



Here's a secret. The way to my heart is food. Not stuff for which you have to pay overrated chefs and sneering waiters, no, food made by someone who will then sit and eat with you.

Preparing food is like selecting a gift, except perhaps more thoughtful - where you think "Oh, Dad will be ok with this vintage elephant wrangler valve" and move on, you just can't do that with food. With food, you have to consider your target audience. What are their likes and dislikes.

The food can be simple, or complicated, but if prepared with thought and love then its always good.

But I'm rambling. Possibly because my friend S, knowing that I can't smoke in this rented apartment made me some cookies with herbal additions to help with the back. It was his first attempt and he and his girlfriend had spent the weekend trying to get the mixture right.

They are the most delicious biscuits I've ever* had, and the act of generosity has really touched me.

Shame I can't eat more than one at a time. Too fattening. Probably. Ahem.

* Not entirely true, the most delicious biscuits I ever had was on a trip to Florida 18 years ago; having come from a country where all chocolate chip cookies were crunchy, the joy of discovering soft, chewy Chips-Ahoy cookies was something that ranks only a short way behind learning to drive and discovering things a boy can do with a girl that doesn't involve pulling pigtails.