Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Oh The Domesticity Of It All

I never thought I'd find myself using the words "happily" and "ironing" in the same sentence. I've spent the last week using shiny new appliances, and tonight was the deflowering of the iron and ironing board.

I watched TV for the first time in months and subjected innocent fabric to alternate sessions of steaming and scorching. All the while humming a slightly madly happy tune.

It won't last. Anything made this cheaply will probably catch fire at an inopportune moment. Probably while I'm 'entertaining':

"Can you smell burning?"
"Hell yeah, baby. I'm hot tonight!"

Well, how many times in a lifetime could one use such a cheesy line? Possibly once would be too many.

Thankfully I'm out tomorrow on either

a) An evening of polite conversation and drinks with my colleagues from the US office
b) A mission to ensure there are no meetings the following day, and the usual loud visitors are very, very quiet.

The intention is usually a). However, I then persuade them to try a pint of real beer. Its a bit like lighting the blue touch paper of a firework, standing back and waiting for b) to make an appearance.