Saturday, October 30, 2004

Oh So Childish

Friday night was one of these nights where alcohol is consumed, other stuff is consumed. And then someone suggests putting on some Pink Floyd.

One of those evenings. Oh, and playing the EyeToy game where bubbles get burst; that kept the troops entertained until the sun came up.

So while it was a good evening, its left me irritated with myself; I didn't actually wake up until 4 o'clock this afternoon and that is *so* not me. Or maybe it is now... either way, I can't shake the feeling of a wasted day (as well as wasted guests still asleep on the floor.)

I cheered myself by watching the cheerful amateurism of BBC News 24. From this I learned that there is a new European directive. For those non-European readers, these are rules that come out of the European Commission in Brussels and are either 'A Good Idea' or 'A Bad Idea', depending on where your politics lie, regardless of what the directive actually is. Rules range from how human rights should be implemented through to the correct thickness of a cucumber.

Most countries sensibly ignore the sillier rules. Britain usually slavishly implements each one in a draconian style.

As usual, I'm digressing. Today's directive is quite a good one; the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipement directive (concerned with recycling cast-off electrical goods.) Whatever the ins and outs of this new rule are, I was delighted to note that I was not alone in sniggering at the politico being interviewed about it on the news. He repeatedly used the approved acronym W.E.E.E which sounds a bit like wee. They cut back to the newsdesk, and both of the anchors were beside themselves with laughter.

So childish, but I was pleased to see that whoever does the scrolling news ticker had been equally effected as text such as "EU up to neck in WEEE. WEEE leaves stain on UK recycling record..." and so on scrolled past. Sadly things went back to normal after a few minutes.

I wonder if the other viewer of BBC News 24 noticed. I'll have to ask him.