Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Ex-traordinary

So let me tell you about the latest Exism...

The Ex and I operated what is known as a 'romantic' marriage. This means all accounts were joint, all salaries were paid into the same place and so on.

Back in March, when all this kicked off, I started the process of opening a new bank account. I told my employer and arranged for my salary to be paid into it.

In the name of amicability, I let The Ex have my last salary cheque; complete with annual bonus.

Fast forward to July, and I'm booking tickets, hotels and conferences. Due to the byzantine purchasing nature of the company where I work, I expense all this stuff. This means paying for it on MY credit card and thinking no more of it. A bit of paper arrives from accounts saying "Paid" and I'm happy.

Until this month, when I'm suddenly spending lots of money on a new flat and furniture. And discover a £2500 hole in my finances. Yes, I know I should have been studying bank statements instead of partying in Barcelona...

It seems that while my salary was going to the new account, the accounts department were paying expenses into the old account. The Ex had noted the unusual payments.

Her quote:

"Oh, I thought it was some sort of bonus thing. I didn't see any point in mentioning it; you said I could keep it..."

For the first time I raised my voice. Just a little.