Friday, October 22, 2004

Wash Your Mind Out With Soapy Water

Preface: I'd not been at the special biscuits. Really, I'd not.

Watching Bedknobs And Broomsticks with First-born. The scene is the one where Angela Lansbury has all the children on the bedstead, and they're about to travel to London by a combination of magic and psychadelic special effect.

Angela: "Now tap the knob three times and give it a sharp turn to the left. Then hold on tight; the behaviour of the bed is something I'm not sure of"

Its the "sharp turn to the left" that made my eyes water. For those that don't know, knob has a slang meaning. And having the name 'Angela Lansbury' and the word 'knob' in the same sentence is wrong on so many levels.

...of course, then I had to explain to First-born why I was laughing during what to her was a deeply serious bit involving magic (which she knows doesn't exist, and so spends her time debunking special effects: "Look, I can see the strings")

Actually, regarding First-born and the age of not believing, she caught herself out at christmas:

She: "So father christmas delivers presents to all the good children over christmas eve?"
Me: (neutrally) "Thats the story"
She: (quiet for a while) "But thats not possible. I've seen the postman delivering letters; it would take too long."
Me: "Well, the only time the postman moves fast is when next door's dog is chasing him"
She: "Ok, but still... it just isn't possible..."

(a long silence)

She: (sniff) "I wish I hadn't said that..."