Monday, October 04, 2004

Multitasking

Its an oft-said myth that men can't multitask.

Oh, how untrue. Take tonight. I was enjoying a quiet drink with N, and my mind was doing the following things simultaneously:

* Wondering how the evening is going - she's laughing a lot, but I seem to be doing a lot of talking. Is this a good thing?

* Considering if tomorrow would be too soon to ask if she'd like to go out for dinner sometime

* Fighting the teenage urge that states "Girls are really impressed by guys who can down a pint of beer in one" - oh so wrong, but oh so driven into the subconscious

* Thinking "I can't believe I'm doing this"

All that, and there was still enough spare capacity to stop me drooling my drink down my chin.

The evening was somewhat tempered by me returning home and parking the car in the super-store carpark near my flat. A group of youths eyed it speculatively. I attempted to give them a stern "Hey, don't mess with me or my stuff" look, but I suspect I looked more like a stoke victim. Hey ho.