Monday, October 18, 2004

They've Tracked Me Down


I've yet to to receieve the usual tsunami of unsolicited mail owing to the fact that I've only been here for 2 weeks, and the the various utility companies have yet to sell my address to sundry blackhearted marketeers.

However, the postal service often slips in some leaflets with the post. If I'm honest, these leaflets are all I get - no actual letters. Most offer me discounts from local pizza establishments or indian takeways. The occasional more optismistic brochure suggests that a conservatory or extension would make my life complete. I've written them back and asked for a survey; I'll be intrigued to see how they fit a conservatory onto an apartment.

But I digress. Today's sheaf of emergency toilet paper contained information from a dating agency. Seems a scattergun approach to me. But the pinkness of the flyer intrigued me, and I had a read.

"If you are uncomfortable with conventional ways of dating, we're the agency for you!"

What the heck does that mean? They have 'unconventional' methods? Like what? Flinging potential spouses at the house of a potential bride using a medieval catapult? Kidnapping the puppy of the target and threatening it with a sequence of indignities until a date is undertaken?

I'm going to sign up. Just to find out. I've always fancied being bungied into someone's life.