Saturday, October 23, 2004

Pipe And Slippers

Its a sign of how bored I've become, stuck at home these last 2 weeks, that rather than put a telemarketeer off with a sarcastic or politely abusive response, I've begun engaging them in conversation.

I kept one guy who was selling electric garage doors talking for, oh, half an hour. He was about to book an appointment for a salesperson to visit when I enquired innocently: "Does it matter than I don't actually have a garage?"

For the first time, a telemarketeer cursed me for wasting *his* time. With luck, I'm now on some sort of black list.

Today's person was a lady trying to work out my credit card spending habits (too much) and which cards I use (any I can get hold of.) Every question was asked in a bored tone with the following options recited:

"And how would you rate that: bad, better than bad, ok, better than ok, good, better than good?"

And as I picked a random answer for each question I had to surpress the schoolteacher within me from saying "And there are two 'T's in BETTER, young lady. 'Beh-errr' is not a word in *my* dictionary."

This, I feel is sign of my aging. That, and referring to the lawyer who drew up the tenancy agreement as "That nice young man".

I've been trapped in this house for 2 weeks. I need someone fun and exciting to take me out. Somewhere. Anywhere. Before its too late...