Sunday, May 02, 2004

Correct Cinema Etiquette

Britain is a country of binge-drinkers.

Really, we are. It all boils down to our licencing laws. These laws are written like a commandment:

"Thou shalt not purchase alcohol between the hours stated by thine Majesty's Government unless thou art in a restaurant, consuming food. And lo, even then thy Lord Blair shall consider it a bit dodgy"

What this ends up translating to is pretty much the whole country shutting down at 11pm (except for hideously expensive clubs) and much of the bar-going population attempting to chug as much beer as possible before the police turn up.

There is a point to all this.

I was in a cinema with a friend last night when I became aware of a commotion a few rows back. Turning, I found myself the unwilling voyeur of the antics of the two drunks who'd staggered in shortly before the film started. She over a row of seats and he enthusiastically behind.

To his credit, the chap didn't break his stroke, but fixed me with a watery eye and said:

"Sorry mate, we'll try and keep the noise down"

This being Britain, had they lit up a cigarette afterwards, I would have had to have politely urged them to either extinguish the evil weed or leave. But the rules of etiquette do not cover shagging in a cinema.

Never thought of Kill Bill vol 2 as a particularly erotic film either. Hey ho.

(I can see my own poor efforts in name of debauchery and hedonism have some way to go)