Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Public Information Broadcast

In my dealing with lawyers, I'm starting to realise why people hate computers so much.

I mean, these guys simply don't speak English. Its a variant. A bit like Cockney, except without the lovable gangsters and punishment beatings.

Following the Acknowledgement (see posts below) I've now completed an Affidavit. The crucial thing about the Acknowledgement is that the Ex isn't contesting the grounds for divorce, which makes the whole process a lot easier. Amicability, eh?

Now, this Affidavit goes back to the court and shortly, maybe in a couple of weeks, we get the Decree Nisi. This is jolly exciting, because in less than two months after that the divorce is absolute and my pursuit of hedonism (and several interesting diseases) can begin in earnest.

In addition to the Affidavit, an Order Of Consent has been sent by my lawyer to the Ex's lawyers. This spells out the settlement in legal terms. We can action this (I get the pay-off, she gets the house) as soon as we like. Which is handy, because I really want that jacuzzi. With lighting.

Bit of a surreal moment with the Affidavit. I had to swear it with my hand on a Bible. The only things I truly believe in are myself, first-born's potential and the basic decency that lies within us all. They didn't have a book for that though. So I made do with a moth-eaten collection of pages with some very distressing stains on the cover.