Thursday, May 27, 2004

High Street Hijinks

How hard can it be to buy a television?

I trawled the shops yesterday, looking to buy such a thing. I had cash clutched in my hand and wanted to take one home. Could I find a shop that had any in stock? Could I heck.

The conversation went like this:

Assistant: (questioning grunt)?
Me: "I'd like to buy a television"
Assistant: "Oh, right. This is a good one here"
Me: "Oooh yes, its nice and silvery. Does it have two scart sockets?"
Assistant: "Oh yeah, its a Philips. Its got everything."
Me: "And Fasttext?"
Assistant: "Oh yeah, its a Philips. Scart, FastText. Its got everything."
Me: "How about a digital tuner?"
Assistant: "Oh yeah, its a Philips. Scart, FastText, Digital. Its got everything."
Me: "Can it mix concrete?"
Assistant: "Oh yeah, its a Philips. Scart, FastText, Digital, Concrete. Its got everything."
Me: "I'll take it. Is it in stock?"
Assistant: "No."

(repeat for every model on display)

The only place that actually had televisions in stock was the local foodstore. Go figure.

I bought a little LCD panel which is everso silvery. First-born is very impressed. The shiny nature of it brought out the magpie within her. That, and the fact that I've promised that she can have it in her bedroom.