Sunday, May 09, 2004

Sobering Up

Friday night has got to score an 11 on the Hedonism scale.

It began badly. We'd gone intending to see a film. Meeting up the bar, we took full advantage of 'Happy Hour' before staggering dunkenly into the cinema.

The film? Van Helsing.

I can only think of two saving graces in that film, and they were both attached to Kate Beckinsale. It really is career-endingly bad. The sort of thing little Willy Smith would cheerfully take money to star in.

I say this, because I'm aware that after my Kill Bill vol 2 post, people actually went to see the film and may have been a bit miffed that I didn't warn them as to its badness. So consider this a warning. This film is truly, truly awful.

We'd planned to go carousing, but after the downer of a film we opted to pile back to someone's house and raid their DVD collection.

Things went downhill (or uphill,depending on your perspective) from here on. Bottles of spirits were produced and the challenge was laid down: "Make us a Long Island Iced Tea". The first couple were great, but then the drunkeness took hold...

...I should explain. When I was at college, I used to play harmonica in a band. I was convinced that the more beer I drank, the better I played. Right up until someone played back the tape. The same thing applies to my cocktail making abilities.

By the fourth or fifth tumbler, the drink was little more than tequila, vodka and coke (I'd used up the rest of the ingredients, but there was lots of tequila left, and some-one went out for vodka. They returned after three hours, bloodied, but carrying a couple of bottles.)

(I can't tell you what happened after the fifth tumbler - I think it was around then that we started playing a variation of Spoof)

And during all this, we just sat around, ate pizza and ice-cream and talked rubbish in a progressively more drunken fashion until the sun came up. I don't think I've laughed so much for months.

Unfortunately, the hang-over kicked in last night.