Thursday, May 06, 2004

Hey, hey 16k

...what does that get you today?

Digressing on the first line of a journal entry must be some sort of record. And my sincere apologies to anyone who clicked that link and isn't a) British, b) over 30 and c) Thought a ZX Spectrum was either a Japanese motorbike or a particularly obscure hi-fi setting.

I never thought I'd say it, but... Yay, Lawyers! Admittedly, the firm acting for me have done stuff for the family for the past 100 years (or so it seems) to the point where the receptionist who did the flowers for my wedding is now typing up the divorce petition.

Anyhow, it appears that there are a mere 2 months to go until, as one of my lovely commentors put it, I can join the land of the dating. Unfortunately, if its anything like attempting to enter the land of the free I'll need a biometric passport, genetic proof of my heritage going back two or three generations and a really contrite look on my face before a man with more bullets in his gun than points in his IQ lets me in.

Sorry - just had a flashback to a trip to New York a couple of months ago.

Today's task has been to sort out the equity transfer in the house (basically, The Boyfriend gives me a lump sum, and I give him the house.) Even the lawyer was faintly suprised at how fast the Ex has moved in this regard.

He: "He's moved in already?" he said, dust showering from eyebrows unaccustomed to being raised
Me: "I'm afraid so"
He: "Well, it only helps us as far as basing the divorce on unreasonable behaviour. But I wonder if your wife realises what she's doing..."
Me: "I'm starting to think she knows *exactly* what she's doing"

One of the purposes of this journal was as a guide for anyone in England or Wales setting off down this path. My next step (having seen the lawyer and sent the petition to the court) is now to get hold of an equity transfer form from the mortgage company. This effectively releases me from the mortgage (and any claim to the house) and transfers it to somebody else. Normally the ex-partner. In this case, The Boyfriend.

More forms. Fun, fun, fun.

(oh, and I have a date - just a drink. Nothing more. Really. Honest. I'm being good.)