Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Wednesday Nerves

From the Reality Of The Situation department:

So far, in this nasty business, I've made most of the running (well, aside from the sleeping with the boss bit. The Ex has been taking care of that for the last couple of years, it would seem. Just as well - my boss is a 20 stone rugby playing ex-fireman, and so not really my type.)

I've seen a lawyer, discussed settlement terms and sent the petition to court (not the kind of petition you sign along with a whole bunch of other people to try and stop a food store being built over a library, no - this is the kind you give to someone to remove them from your life.)

Now the Ex is seeing her lawyer this evening. This could go in one of two ways. Either the lawyer says "Hmmm, yes - that seems reasonable. Sign here, please", or the lawyer panders to the Ex's warped sense of justice and starts fiddling with the terms. In which case it will all start to go a bit runny.

So I'm a bit nervous. Thus far, I've gritted my teeth and put up with moving out, The Boyfriend moving in, and the timing of the revelation in the name of amicability and minimising the potential damage to first-born. Question is, will the Ex do the same.

Apparently, when the Apollo 11 astronauts landed, Nixon had two speeches prepared. The first was the "attaboys" speech, the second was an "oh bugger" speech. In a similar way, I have two phone conversations ready to go. In a strange way, I'm rather hoping to deliver the "I hope the coldsore bursts" rant.